The picture represents a large mixed recycling bin. It is put by the sidewalk for pick up downtown. Sometimes passersby think it is a trash can. What doesn't belong in here?
1. A plastic grocery bag; these mess up the mixed recycling machines but they can be returned to participating stores.
2. Leaves and branches from a plant (actually the whole plant was in the bin). That can be composted.
3. The juice box is OK but not the plastic straw.
4. The styrofoam cup and plastic stirrer cannot be recycled. They go in the trash.
5. Styrofoam take out food tray goes in the trash, along with food bits and the plastic fork.
6. It looks like a single use beverage cup is below the cardboard box; no single use cups can go in the mixed recycle bins. Some special cups can be commercially composted; it's best to check with the provider. Everything else goes in the trash.